Wednesday, February 4, 2009

How to Make Extra Income by Blogging - My Journey Pt 1

I'm going to do a series of posts on making money from blogging. Now, as I'm new to this myself, you'll be going on my journey and hopefully learning from my mistakes.

So firstly, what do we need to get started?

  1. A blog - I've used www.blogger.com but there's wordpress, twitter and a heap of others. Find one that you're comfortable with.
  2. Figure out what your niche is. Without a main theme for your blog, nobody will read it and you are less likely to be found with relevant keywords by the search engines.
  3. Domain name (optional) - A domain name could make your blog look more professional and help people remember you. Dotster.com offers some great deals on domain names.
  4. Content, content and more content. If you don't have at least 10 self-written articles before you go online, wizz off and write them. Search engines and humans look for original content to keep them interested. Would you buy the newspaper if the same articles appeared day in, day out? I didn't think so....
  5. Pictures, video, feeds and podcasts - these are optional but it gives your site a better overall look and feel and if you want to make money blogging, you have to make your visitor feel a certain way.
  6. Open a Google Adsense account - Google Adsense is a pay per click advertising banner that sits on your blog or site like the one to the left. It scours your page for keywords and displays relevant advertising for the visitor based on what they are searching for. Every time they click on one of the ads, YOU make money. Best of all, it's free to join.
  7. Did I mention content?
  8. Last of all...a goal. My goal is to get to 100 visitors per day to start with.
I now have all these things as of 5th February 2009. I didn't take my own advice about having content. Right now I am writing my 3rd article for the blog and really, it's not enough. I think I'll need to go away and right at least 5 more before I start distributing my site.

Until then, work on points 1 to 8. Remember, the most important is number 4.

0 comments:

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template